Kitchen is the most effected area of house from where all kind of energies prevails while an expert Vastu consultant would surely identify about the adverse situation of house if kitchen is placed incorrectly. This important part of house must be placed on its corresponding place i.e. South-east governed by element Fire. Kitchen being the important part of home is the primary contributing factor in the general health and well-being of occupants.
Some essential things need to be considered in Vastu of kitchen, read out related Vastu tip for kicthen:
Element Fire governs in the direction South-east, so this portion of house ideal for locating kitchen. However, if choosing alternative then North-west part could be taken for constructing kitchen but avoid making kitchen in any other direction.
Kitchens in north quadrant tend to affect health female members.
Place water sink in the North-east with the maximum distance from cooking gas.
Larger windows in the kitchen should be in Eastern side while small ventilators should be placed in South.
Provision for water storage and taps should be made in North-east of the kitchen.
Avoid placing dinning table in the centre of the kitchen instead locate it in the North-west direction.
The sink should be in the Northeast corner of the kitchen.
Electric equipment like microwave, oven or refrigerator should be placed in South-west.
The slope of the water flow should be from Southwest towards Northeast.
The cylinder should be placed in the Southeast corner.
The Geyser should be installed on the Southeast side.
The storage for all the food grains, utensils, the over head almirah should always be on the Southern and the western walls and not on the Northern and the Eastern walls.
A dishwasher can be placed in the north west of the kitchen.
The exhaust fan should be installed either in the Northwest corner or the South wall.
There should be no toilets and bathrooms adjoining, and above or below the kitchen.
The door of the kitchen should never face the door of the toilet.
|Entry door||North, East, or West||The kitchen door must not be in any of the corners.|
|Gas Cylinder||Southeast||Empty cylinders should be kept in the southwestern direction|
|Cooking Gas||Southeast Corner||
|Refrigerator||Southeast, South, North or West||
|Equipments (e.g.Heaters, Conventional ovens, Microwaves, ovens)||Southeast or South||Equipments must never be kept in the northeast portion|
|Storing Racks||Western or Southern wall||Commodities such as, grain, pulses, and spices, must be stored in the west or south.|
|Sink||North-East corner||The water source such as, water filter or pitcher, should be kept in the northeast.|
|Windows and Exhaust fan||East direction||The bigger windows should always be constructed in the eastern direction, while smaller ones must be towards south.|
|Clocks||South or Southwest Wall|
The color of the walls should be-
The color of the walls should be
Avoid using the color black in your kitchen.
Things To Avoid
We have to take care of the following points while studying about the vastu of the kitchen. Vastu consultation of kitchen involves thorough analysis.
There is no ambience in the home more loved and lived
in by all the members of the family, the best of the family, the best
place to savour the pleasure of being together with all the tastes,
memories and daily habits of the family. These are feelings which need a
suitable ambience, where the warmth of wood combines with the strong
character of the stony materials, such as marble and granite of table
tops and the counter.
The hob also has a central position with a canopy formed by its hood which destroys odours and fills the ambience with light at the same time. The electrical appliances are carefully concealed beneath the worktop. Function and harmony from the dominating characteristics of the present collections.
The basic concept is to finish this ambience which is the most lived in the entire family with the aim of making it a place in which it is pleasing to be together. To create, therefore, a little domestic paradise in which several people, all there together will find it easy to move about among extremely functional articles. There is no need for large spaces, but it is attractive and welcoming, perfectly in tune with the surroundings with the reminder and exaltation of stories, traditions and rediscovered family values.
The marked personalities of these modern and innovative kitchen brings into the home the soothing atmosphere of colourful and lively activity. There are as many as four colours which gladden the eye and communicate a note of joyful serenity of the ambience which they furnish, creating together a happy scene.
A kitchen layout should be customised to the specific requirements and needs of the users. Hence, it is important to ascertain the individual preferences overall lifestyle and eating habits of the direct users.
The kitchen is probably the most used (or misused !!) room in any home, requiring an efficient combination of storage spaces, working counters, seating areas and free passages. It has to be functional, practical, elegant and comfortable, all at the same time and hence, great emphasis should be laid on the overall layout design of the kitchen, especially the small (and seemingly minor) details.
There are various practical points that must be considered and discussed before commencing the designing of a new kitchen or the modification of an existing one.
The style of cooking (which varies greatly due to influences of country, state, religion, health and personal choice) would greatly influence the design and layout of a kitchen. Importance must be given to the type of materials, ingredients and mediums used as well as the appliances and working space required for that particular style of cooking.
A kitchen should be designed to match the preferred style of the individual user and the general decor of the rest of the house. It may be designed in a country/farmhouse, contemporary, colonial/english, laboratory, futuristic/high-tech, European/Mediterranean or ethnic style with matching decor and finishes.
A minimal, modular, straight lined, no-fuss work-area where the emphasis is on efficiency, workability and cleanliness. There are no wasted spaces and no unnecessary display of items or clutter. Most of the appliances are built-in and the work areas are easy to maintain and clean .
According to the theory, an efficient and practical kitchen layout is one where ideally the three major elements: sink/washing area, refrigerator, cooking range are conveniently located so that the user can work and move about easily. The distance between the refrigerator, the cooking range and the washing area should not be less than 6 meters. This working should not be broken by full heights, fitments doors or passages.
The flooring, mostly used are mosaic, ceramic tiles, marbles. Stone flooring or ceramic tiles are recommended for Indian conditions, keeping in mind the surrounding dirt and dust since the material is impermeable, hard and stain/scratch resistant .
The walls in most kitchens are usually painted. Good quality plastic emulsion paint for areas under the sink and near the wash area .
Cabinets are usually made of 19 mm commercial block boards with laminate or enamel/duco paint.
* Adjacent to the kitchen platform, another L shaped platform near the
south wall for keeping micro even, mixer, grinder etc. will be very
* The main kitchen platform should be in the east and the south-east corner. The platform should not touch the east and the south walls of the kitchen. It should be at least one to three inches away from the walls. We can also take a projection of 1 to 2 inches while constructing the kitchen.
* Stove or gas burner should be in the south-east corner, a few inches away from the wall.
* The kitchen should be in the south-east corner of the main building or flat.
* The washbasin (sink) of the platform should be in the north-east corner as far as possible. Pitcher of water and utensils for drinking water should be in the north-east or the north side.
* Essential commodities like boxes of grain, spices, pulses etc. should be in the south or the west direction.
* The entrance door of the kitchen should not be in any of the corners. Kitchen doors in the east, the north and the west are useful.
* The gas burner should not be in front of the main door of the kitchen.
* There should be one or two windows or air holes in the east and the west direction of the kitchen. An exhaust fan in this gap is useful.
* If there is a dining table in the kitchen, it should be in the north west or the west side.
* Light weight articles can be kept in the east or the north.
* Mezzanine floor in the kitchen should be in the west or the south.
* While cooking, the face should be towards the east.
* The colour of the floor and the walls of the kitchen should be yellow, orange, rose, chocolate or red. However, it should not be black or white as far as possible.
* A kitchen in the west direction can be tolerated. However, if the kitchen is in the north-east direction mental tension increases and one may suffer great losses. If the kitchen is in the south-west direction, life at home becomes difficult because of clashes.
* If a freeze is in the kitchen, it should be in the south-east, the south, the west or the north direction. It should not be in the north-east direction. If it is in the south-west direction it should be a feet away from the corner otherwise it always gets out of order.
We recommend you to read our articles on Elements of Vastu Shastra to gain more knowledge.
<<Back to Vastu Home Page | Next Article: North-West Vastu Dosh and Remedies>>
Servant's quarter is important to construct according to Vastu because if this place is considered .....Read More
Vaastu Shanti worship is originally a worship of lord and deity of directions, five elements of
Swimming pool, underground Vastu for Swimming Poolwater tank, wells, bore-well etc. .....Read More